Flushing Heights Civic Association, Inc.

Established 1940


Civic meetings are canceled until further notice. We are unable to hold public meetings until the government gives clearance that the covid-19 pandemic is over and social gatherings can resume.

Novel Coronavirus

2020 Census

  • The 2020 Census is happening now. You can respond online, by phone, or by mail. Click here to learn how.

Blood Donations Needed

Con Ed Update

  • Con Ed has suspended meter readings for indoor meters for April. Outdoor meters will still be read. There will also be no service turn-offs for non-payment at least through April.

Vehicle Accidents with no Injuries

Frequently Asked Questions (Grace Ming, U.S. Representative for the 6th District of New York)

When will I get my rebate check from the government?

Very soon. The CARES Act, passed into law on March 21, provides payments of up to $1,200 per adult and $500 per dependent child to help alleviate the financial burden caused by the coronavirus. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is working to distribute the first round of these payments in mid-April, likely the week of April 13 through direct deposit. Please see more information here.

I am on Social Security. Will I also get a rebate check?

Yes. Social Security beneficiaries will automatically receive these payments as a direct deposit or by paper check, just as they would normally receive their benefits, in a second round of payments in late April. Please see more information here.

I got a call asking for my bank information in order to get my rebate check. Should I give them this information?

NO. These calls might be related to identity fraud or tax theft. The IRS will NEVER call or email you and ask for your personal financial information. Please rely on IRS.gov for accurate information regarding your cash assistance check.

If you receive a suspicious call or email, you can forward it to phishing@irs.gov. Please see more information here.

I lost my job or my work hours have been reduced due to the coronavirus. Can I get unemployment benefits?

Yes. You can go to http://labor.ny.gov/signin or call at 1-888-209-8124 to apply. Please see more information here.

I am usually not eligible for unemployment benefits. Have things changed?

Yes. The CARES Act expanded unemployment benefits to workers not traditionally eligible for unemployment benefits: those who are self-employed, independent contractors, workers with limited work history and others. You can check your eligibility with the NYS DOL here and visit http://labor.ny.gov/signin or call at 1-888-209-8124 to apply. Please see more information here.

I called the New York State Department of Labor and I can’t get through to someone. What should I do?

The New York State Department of Labor (NYS DOL) is experiencing extremely high call volume right now. They have hired more staff and are working to improve their technology to handle this large call volume. Please know that you will not lose any of your benefits due to delays in reaching the NYS DOL. I encourage you to contact your NYS Senator or Assemblyperson.

I have a question about how I can protect myself from the virus. Who should I contact?

You can contact my office or the New York State Department of Health.

I need help accessing mental health services. Who should I contact?

This is a very challenging time. If you need help, I encourage you to call the New York State Emotional Support Hotline at 1-844-863-9314.

I am suffering financially and cannot pay rent. Who should I contact?

New York has implemented a 90-day moratorium on evictions for residential and commercial tenants. The New York State Housing Department has more resources here. See more information here.

I need help getting access to food. Who can I call?

Please call the New York City Emergency Food Hotline at 866-888-8777. If you are a senior citizen, you can also call the New York City Department for the Aging at 212-AGING-NYC. You may also call 311 to get assistance from the City of New York.

I want to help my community. Where can I find that information?

Thank you for your compassion – our willingness to help our community is very important during this time. I encourage you to contact Help Now NYC, where you can find more information about volunteering.

My small business is suffering because of coronavirus. What help can I get?

You can apply for an Economic Disaster Injury Loan (EIDL) – which was made available to small businesses due to legislation I introduced in the first coronavirus relief package. These loans provide assistance for businesses to be used in an emergency.

You can also apply for the Paycheck Protection Program – a new loan program under the recent CARES Act created for small businesses, eligible nonprofits, self-employed, and gig economy workers to forgive loans for employers who maintain payroll.

Small businesses seeking SBA disaster loan relief are first encouraged to contact a representative from the New York Small Business Development Center (SBDC). For businesses located in Queens, you can email Queens College SBDC at sbdc@qc.cuny.edu, LaGuardia SBDC at sbdc@lagcc.cuny.edu, or York College SBDC at sbdc@york.cuny.edu.

Applicants may apply online, receive additional disaster assistance information and download applications at https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela. Applicants may also call SBA’s Customer Service Center at (800) 659-2955 or email disastercustomerservice@sba.gov for more information on SBA disaster assistance. For more information, please see here.

The civic association has been in existence since 1940. We are an organization run solely by non-paid volunteers as a non-profit group. The benefits of joining the civic association are as follows:

    • Holds regular meetings speakers on timely topics
    • Serves as a voice for the community with the city government and city officials.

Join us! Become a part of the homeowners and residents in our area who care enough about the quality of life for their families and neighborhood to help each other.

To become a FHCA Member contact Bill Anello at 347-752-8373 or william.anello49@gmail.com. Dues will be $15 a year per family. Make check or money order out to Flushing Heights Civic Association, Inc. Send your dues to 171-03 67th Avenue, Fresh Meadows, NY 11365.

If you would like to be a Block Captain and help contact others on your block about civic events/meetings contact Bill Anello.

Follow us on Twitter @fhcainc

FHCA is your civic association if you live north of Union Turnpike, east of 164th Street, west of Utopia Parkway, and south of Horace Harding Expressway.

Questions or concerns can be directed to Bill Anello at 347-752-8373 or william.anello49@gmail.com.